Friday, April 17, 2009

As Though Everything is Possible

We’re moving to Rhode Island so that I can start my PhD program. This seems ill advised as I have just gotten the last set of new information from the doctors. My chemotherapy seems not to be shifting my disease activity much—white blood counts haven’t decreased, inflammation isn’t down, there’s still chest pain. I am bloating from the medications, only two pairs of pants fit anymore. I am getting the facial rash and bumps on the chest, and last week’s chemo was tougher than any past treatment; it took me almost five days to recover enough to get out of the house. This because we’ve nearly doubled the dose in the hopes of pushing my disease into a restive state.

So why Rhode Island now? Why are we arranging moving trucks, starting the sorting of stuff into boxes, shampooing the rug in our rental home?

I told my mom this last night: I have to live as though everything is possible.

Since being diagnosed at the age of 23, I have had days I could not walk, I could not zip zippers and button buttons, hold a glass, I have had countless hospital stays, been in two comas, contracted flesh eating bacteria and given a 20% chance of survival, I have had 16 surgeries, and now I have a new set of organ involvement concerns with this old heart of mine. This year began with a swollen heart, a murmur, the inflammation of the lining of my heart and a crazy day when I gasped for air and clutched my chest, reassuring Patricia I was not having a heart attack but doubting my own assurances.

Also since the age of 23, I have spent amazing cold months in Chiapas, hiking the hills, watching as El Sup marched into San Cris with thousands of indigenous, taking over the city, I have rested for an afternoon at the top of the Pyramid of the Sun in Palenque, I have seen my little sister make it to the state cheerleading championships and sat at the UNM Pit among the proud parents, my dad tapping his foot to the music with his Albuquerque Bulldogs t-shirt, I have eaten four kinds of mashed potatoes in one sitting, I have collected sand dollars at night at Santa Cruz, when Patricia first stood at the Pacific Ocean, I have taught at the Indian college where a young girl said to me “Andrew Jackson—he’s, like… our Hitler,” I have received my BA, my MA, I have fallen in love, I have talked about having children, I have danced for hours to gospel house with my big sister, I have lived as though everything is possible.

Last week the NIH study revealed some new findings. One of my many tests was a transesophageal echocardiography (TEE), which is an ultrasound of the heart obtained by passing a small tube with an ultrasound probe into your esophagus. It was only slightly uncomfortable and allowed me an afternoon of Versed haze. The tests, along with some others were looking for Valvular Heart Disease (hardening, small growths, or leakage of the heart valves). Unexpectedly, my left valve showed vegetation, something that is unique to Lupus patients. These vegetations can be dangerous if they dislodge and are the focus of the NIH study.

The research docs believe the vegetations—something like tiny seaweed-like scar tissue—may be a cause of Neuropsychiatric Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (NPSLE). NPSLE includes stroke, transient ischemic attack (temporary or mini-stroke), disorientation, decreased level of awareness and thinking, seizures, and irrational behavior. The hardening, small growths, or leakage of the heart valves that are commonly seen in patients with SLE may lead to the formation of tiny clots in the heart valves which then may dislodge and travel to the brain and cause brain damage.

So weirdly, here I am at the age of 35, ancient for a Lupus patient with my degree of disease activity, now being told there’s some new little hidden dangerous thing in my left heart valve. I am left to take my daily aspirin and envision that vegetation grasping at the walls of the valve, welded to the wall, not dislodging, never dislodging, clinging stubbornly to the wall for decades, refusing the warm streaming blood year after year.

Every deep breath for the last week has felt like a risk, laughing loudly as I do, a gamble. I tell my mom that the danger isn’t in moving, the danger isn’t living in Rhode Island. The danger is living in my body.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try to do this again. Your blog answered all my questtions I always wanted to know but was to afraid to ask. I've omly had a computer for about a year now and I'm still learning all the aspects of it so bear with me. About you and your disease I don't know what say. I dont enough about it, are there new drugs and treatments in the works? Is there an urgency to find a cure like they almost have for AIDS/HIV? I'm alive by some higher powers decision to spare me death. I didn't do anything any different than anyone else who died but just showed up for whatever drugs or treatment or research programs put in front me. Aren't medications and there side effects a bitch. My problems today are mostly the side effects of the drugs not the disease. All I can say is keep showing up everyday however you can and do what's in front of you to get through to tomorrow.where you start all over again. Thinking about a future for me was/is like the fashion world I work/edin, I took one it collection at a time. (Every six months,Spring/Summer andFall/Winter.) For you it might be every school semester with Summer off for good behavior. So even if you're living in your body dangerously moment to moment there is a future for you to live the same way. A miracle is around the corner everyday it's just making sure you recognize it and accept it. God(dess) bles you...besos PS We'll do lunch and talk about your studies and my obsesion with finding Latinos in the Sci Fi world. Live long and prosper. \\//<(^o^)> Eddie Valentine

Anonymous said...

This is a test. According to my mental capacities and the grammar I used on my last post I should be in the third fucking grade! I hope you got the gist of it. I'll work out the mistakes better this time. You are one strong chick.Please be aware of that. I bet your drive and ambition to live life to its fullest even surprise you. What's the worst thing that'll happen to you that already hasn't happened? You'll drop dead which honey ain't an option. So if you feel like bitching go ahead, I'll give 5 minutes then it's back to life, because that's what all this god damned work is about. Remember you are loved...end of test. (It's me Eddie. Haven't figured out how to post any other way but anonymously.I'm such a pendeja.)

Anonymous said...

Well here I am awake again and it's the middle of the night which I enjoy to be honest with you. Like you I like that the drone of the traffic is gone till about 7am, that depending if I have music or the tv on I can hear all the tick tocks of my apartment which is kind of soothing and what is so me is that my creative juices run their free-ist(sp)during this time which I usually put to work. It's funny that are illness's have made us a sort of kindred spirits even though our ordeals have been at different times of our lifes.One thing I was spared of was the physical scarring of the disease; wasting, KS legions, lypodystrophy,etc. which unfortunately I know you have/ are experiencing such or other physical disfigurations. My heart goes out to you. Eventually we shall meet again and we'll laugh,cry and shout at the devil together and point at god/dess and let'em know we ain't going nowhere until we're raedy to go, on our own terms and time. Be comfortable, take those Percosets (I abuse my codiene pills occasionally. They're great with a Margherita chaser.He he) and I'll write soon...Eddie "V"

Anonymous said...

Shit! I just spent a half hour writing some heartfelt stuff and I think it's been erased. Again I will post as anonymous but sign at the end, Eddie "V".

Anonymous said...

Here I go again. Up from a power nap and I don't feel like working. It's quiet for a change and I don't have the TV or music on.How you feeling these days. I know now a little more about your treatments and I'm kind of speechless. I think why we've become such good friends is because our paths have been similar yet experienced at different times of our lifes; chemo,wasting,KS,pneumonia,lipodystrophy and even heart failure to name a few. I get the feeling you're a pretty brave soul and like a good soldier you just push on through, bullets flying.For me knowing I had this death sentence looming over my head I figured I had nothing to lose by recieving the treatments and medications no matter how toxic they were. One more day of living was one more day of life. Have strength my friend. Being brave as you've been to still remain active and as if everything is still possible takes balls. And sometimes allow yourself a pitty pot day but just a day. Stay in bed and cuddle with your girlfriend because it will pass and you'll move on.Well that's enough for now. I'm going back to bed and read a little bit.( Anne Rice's "Pandora"). 2 more days till Star Trek. Oh and by the way I saw this Sci Fi movie called "Sphere" and there was a latina actress,Margo Gomez (Cuban) with a supporting role along side Sharon Stone,Dustin Hoffman, Samuel Jackson and Queen Latifa. She even gets to live about an hour into the movie before she's killed off. It's something. Goodnight girl and sweet dreams. Besos... :*)

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |